Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Red Baron -Manfred von Richthofen

As I have spent a great deal of time over the last two months researching and writing on the mythical ace of World War I- The Baron von Richthofen, I have noticed how regularly the myth, even in "historical" texts, dominates over reality. Many sources comment on Richthofen's great chivalry, honor, courage, etc., but after reading Richthofen's memoir/autobiography, "Der Rote Kampfliegger" (1969), I must claim that the real (or at least public) Richthofen is NOT the mythical Red Baron/chevalier of the sky. I urge anyone interested in truly understanding The Red Baron, or better, the man behind the baron-Manfred von Richthofen, to read his memoir for yourself and also read up on the lifestyle of the typical World War I "ace"--Peter Fritzsche's "A Nation of Fliers: German Aviation and the Popular Imagination" is a good place to start in learning about World War I pilots.

No comments: